Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

400 Cars For NDC Footsoldiers

By Charles Takyi-Boadu

The forecourt of Ghana’s Parliament has virtually been turned into auto base shop where about 400 brand new Hyundai Verna saloon cars are being sprayed and converted into taxis.
For over a year that the vehicles had been there, questions were posed regarding their destination but now one theory appears to hold sway.
Latest information gathered by DAILY GUIDE indicated that the over 400 saloon cars were intended for distribution to some selected supporters (foot-soldiers) of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), a distribution which would come with a lot of challenges since more were unlikely to benefit from it.
The party had previously distributed Hyundai I10, popularly called ‘Atta Cambu,’ to the foot-soldiers and serial callers including media friends in some media houses.
It comes ahead of the 2012 polls, raising suspicions that it is intended to influence people including taxi drivers into voting for the NDC.
This is in view of the fact that similar distributions of items had gone on in other sectors like fisheries where outboard motors and fishing nets were distributed to influence fishermen into voting for the NDC.
Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, a deputy Minister of Information, announced on Saturday on Joy FM’s ‘News File’ that 35,000 chicks would be distributed to poultry farmers as part of the Better Ghana agenda.
A certain retired officer of the Customs, Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS), whose name was given as Pius, was said to be in charge of the vehicles which, according to sources, would be distributed as loans by the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC).
MASLOC was initiated by the New Patriotic Party (NPP) administration in 2006 as a body responsible for implementing government’s microfinance programmes to reduce poverty, create jobs and wealth.
But issues have been raised about the extent of abuse of the scheme as most of its beneficiaries have often been party faithful who usually do not repay the loans.
When DAILY GUIDE visited where the cars were parked, yesterday, some young men were busily spraying them into white and yellow taxis, embossing them with 2012 commercial number plates and installing taxi lamps on them.
A list of likely beneficiaries was said to be ready for the distribution in the coming days.
Attempts to speak with Information Minister Fritz Baffour and his two deputies, Samuel Okudzeto-Ablakwa and James Agyenim-Boateng, for clarification proved futile.
A bodyguard of the minister said he was in a meeting whilst his deputies did not answer calls put to their mobile phones even though they went through.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012


Nana Storms Taifa

By Charles Takyi-Boadu
The entire community of Taifa, a suburb of Accra, and its surrounding areas came to a standstill yesterday when the Presidential Candidate of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, with his able lieutenants, attended a mammoth rally by the local party people.
Nana Akufo-Addo joined members of the Dome-Kwabenya constituency to launch the campaign of the party’s Parliamentary Candidate for the area, Sarah Adwoa Safo.
The mammoth crowd went berserk when Nana Addo arrived at the venue amidst spontaneous cheers and chants of ‘Paapa o dende, Paapa o dende!”
Not even the intermittent downpour in the Taifa area where the rally took place could dissuade the party faithful from turning out in their numbers to grace the occasion, with some having to climb trees and roof tops to view proceedings.
Amazed at the turn-out of party faithful, he said, “I thought I was coming for a constituency rally but what I have seen has amazed me.”
When Nana Akufo-Addo took the microphone to speak, the adrenaline in him was almost visible as he took direct hits at the Mills administration’s mismanagement, rubbishing in particular, its unfulfilled promises to Ghanaians.
Better Ghana Agenda Under Attack
In his delivery, he described the Mills administration’s ‘Better Ghana’ mantra as a failure, noting, “The ‘Better Ghana Agenda’ is a failure; the Better Ghana Agenda has failed”, whilst stating that “the ‘I care for you’ slogan is now a cynical and cruel joke.”
This, he said, was because under President Mills and his ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), the living conditions of Ghanaians kept degenerating from bad to worse, following astronomical increases in the cost of utilities and petroleum products.
He called on Ghanaians to vote for him and the NPP, so that together they could move the country forward.
Nana Addo re-stated his commitment to making jobs available for the youth when elected president, saying, “That would be my number one priority.”
Education, he noted, would receive a prominent position in his agenda under which he pointed at his free Senior High School module.
“This would prepare our country for the new economy and new era,” he said.
Teachers, he said, would have a new deal through enhanced conditions of service as a way of motivating them to give off their best.
He paid glowing tribute to former President Kufuor for the achievements he chalked during his term of office, saying, “Kufuor brought one of the greatest institutions to our country, the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), to help the sick. Mills is spoiling it”.
He promised that an Akufo-Addo led government would rejuvenate the scheme to enable it to play its role in medical care delivery in the country.
Speaking about himself, he said, “I am not Mills” who makes unfeasible promises.
The Comparison  
Unlike President Mills who promised to reduce prices of petroleum product, yet the prices kept skyrocketing, Nana Addo said he would keep to his promises.
Given the continuous increases in the price of cement, he said the youth would find it very difficult to put up buildings now that cement was selling at GH¢25 whilst recalling President Mills’ campaign promise to put money in people’s pockets.
“Have you had such monies put in your pockets? We have just returned from Kyebi and over there, there is nothing like that. What the people there have are holes in their pockets.”
In the face of challenges, he however stressed, “There is a bright future. What we need is a leadership that can turn things around.”
He told his audience that he was not seeking the presidency to amass wealth but to use his talents in the service of the nation.
He said doling out money in the name of judgment debts would not be part of his agenda.
He later introduced Adwoa Safo as the next MP for the Dome-Kwabenya constituency, to a rousing ovation.
Former President John Agyekum Kufuor did not also mince words when he took over the stage, reprimanding the Mills administration for authorizing payment of a whopping GH¢51.2million judgment debt to Alfred Agbesi Woyome, while in another breadth, claiming that the economy they inherited was in shambles.

Convictions
Given the conditions on the grounds in the country, the former president, whose address attracted loud cheers from the audience, said victory was staring NPP in the face.
He was of the firm conviction that when such victory was bestowed upon the NPP, the country would witness a steady progress in its affairs.
He rubbished the argument by members of the Mills-led National Democratic Congress (NDC) that since he (Kufuor) and Rawlings were given two-terms each to serve as President, President John Evans Atta Mills should equally be given the same opportunity, noting with emphasis, “That is a lie. A good play starts early in the morning. Our first three years showed signs of promise.”
Had the Constitution demanded presidents to enjoy two straight terms, Mr Kufuor said that would have been specified clearly in the document.
“You get one term and when the people are satisfied with your work they give you another. That is the position of the Constitution,” he said.
On the occasional comparison between his first three years in office and that of his successor President Mills, he said the two were incomparable. “During our first three months in office we took the difficult decision to taking the country to HIPC and with this we had our debts cancelled,” he noted.
He recalled how lucky he was to have dedicated ministers such as Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo who is leading the NPP into the 2012 elections and others with whom he steered the affairs of the country forward.
He was of the belief that when given the mandate to steer the affairs of the nation, Nana Akufo-Addo would not countenance the payment of bad judgment debts such as those doled out to Woyome, Messrs Construction Pioneers (CP) and others.
Instead, he indicated that the loans which during his tenure were given to women would be resuscitated when Nana Akufo becomes president.

Friday, June 29, 2012

NDC Pays GH¢8.3m For Rotten Gallopers

Details have started emerging about the payment of GH¢8.4million in the controversial 86 Hyundai Galloper cross-country vehicles imported into the country by the Rawlings-led National Democratic Congress (NDC) administration, which was supposedly left to rot by the Kufuor-led New Patriotic Party (NPP) government.
Contrary to claims by Deputy Information Minister Samuel Okudzeto-Ablakwa that government was negotiating with African Automobile Limited (AAL) for a settlement and to beat down the amount of $1.5billion being demanded by the company as the cost of the vehicles and accrued interest, it emerged that government had already paid a whopping sum of over GH¢8.4million to the company as judgment debt.
The vehicles, which had been left at the mercy of the weather on the compound of the Institute of Local Government Studies (ILGS), were ordered by the Rawlings administration and arrived in country in the year 2001. They were said to be intended for distribution to district assemblies.
Mr Okudzeto-Ablakwa however claimed that the refusal of the Kufuor administration to pay an amount of $17million as cost of the vehicles to Africa Automobile resulted in the vehicles being abandoned by the government, a claim which had been parried by former Chief of Staff, Kwadwo Okyere Mpiani.
Documents sited by DAILY GUIDE indicated that the monies were paid in three different tranches over a period of 10 months in the year 2010.
This was captured in the 2010 Auditor-General’s report on the public accounts of Ghana (Consolidated Fund) which is currently being scrutinized by the Public Accounts Committee of Parliament.
The first tranche of the money, GH¢2.5million, was paid by the NDC government to the company on May 14, 2010 and the next payment of GH¢2.5million effected two months later on July 16, 2010, whilst the last tranche of GH¢3.379million was paid on October 2, the same year.
DAILY GUIDE sources indicated that more money was paid to the company the Alfred Woyome way because there was no contract covering the supply of the vehicles.

Kwadwo Mpiani
The source said the yet-to-be-released Auditor General’s report for the year 2011 captured more of such payments to the company for the same purpose.
It therefore beat the imagination of many why Ablakwa would tell Ghanaians government was still negotiating with the company over the terms of payment when it had already commenced payments to the company that allegedly had no written contract with the state except for a gentleman’s agreement.
Another thing that surprised a number of people was the fact that it was captured as ‘judgment debt’ when the case was not in court, according to Ablakwa.
Mr. Mpiani challenged the rationale behind the $1.5billion claim by African Automobile Limited.
According to him, the vehicles, which were ordered by the previous NDC administration, did not meet the specifications and could therefore not be accepted by the Kufuor-led government.

No Contract
He was not sure whether there were documents covering the transaction between the previous NDC administration and the company involved.
Mr. Mpiani, who spoke on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show yesterday said, “Let them (referring to government) go to court and challenge them,” since according to him, “there is no basis for any negotiation.”
Instead of negotiating to ensure that the State did not lose an amount of money, he said the Mills administration was rather engaged in equalization of errors and a publicity stunt.
Former Local Government and Rural Development Minister under the erstwhile Kufuor government, Kwadwo Adjei-Darko, said the Government of Ghana, and for that matter his former ministry, never entered into any contract with African Automobile to import any vehicles into the country for onward distribution to the district assemblies.
Mr. Adjei Darko, who was a two-time minister at the Local Government and Rural Development Ministry between May 2003 and January 2005 and July 2007 and January 2009, said there was no document covering the so-called importation of the Galloper cross-country vehicles.
“So far as the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development was concerned, there was no transaction between the government and any company called African Automobile whether earlier or during that period since there is no document in the ministry to confirm such,” he disclosed.
He added: “If a group (NDC government) comes and they are always eager to pay all manner of debts, it’s their own cup of tea.”